Monday, April 12, 2010

Tapering....

Those of you that know me, know that I have the patience of a 4 year old so this last week before I run the 114th Boston Marathon is torture for me. The only thing getting me through knows that the Taper is just as important to my preparation as the 20 mile run was.
Since my last update of the 21 mile run on the race route I started to cut back my running, the week before this past week do to work I only have 24 miles in and 14 of that was a long run. The last 14 mile long run was a nice run but somewhere on the run my right knee started hurting me. Well after the run the knee pain continued so I took a rest from running for 5 days. My logic was that if I did something to it that a 5 mile run would do more harm then good. So on Friday I did a slow mile run on the treadmill and felt no pain, on Saturday I went out for a “hilly” 3 mile run at sub marathon pace and that felt good so I had high hopes for Sunday. On Sunday I went out with the plan to run at least 90 minutes at MP+30 and did 8.81 miles at a 10:16 pace and felt great.

So now the hard part, I will go out for 2-3 runs this week to keep loose but other then that I am working to get focused for the marathon. All of you looking to follow my run my Bib# is 23708.

Cheers, Tim

2 comments:

pathfinder said...

Good luck Tim, I know it will be fun and go well for you.

Mary McManus said...

I have confirmation that I'll be getting updates in my cell phone about your progress -- I know that you are going to have a wonderful run on Monday and Team McManus will be cheering you on around mile 20. Just a few more days to go...