Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Who or what is a "Derv"....?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Whirling Dervishes perform in the Monastir Mevlevi, Istanbul.
The Mevlevi Order or the Mevleviye are a Sufi order founded by the followers of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Balkhi-Rumi, a 13th century Persian (Tādjīk) poet, Islamic jurist, and theologian, in Konya (in present-day Turkey). They are also known as the Whirling Dervishes due to their famous practice of whirling as a form of dhikr (remembrance of Allah). Dervish is a common term for an initiate of the Sufi Path.

Ok with that said, I am not a member of the Mevlevi Order nor am a member of the Sufi order, it is simply a nickname I acquired in college that has stuck with me for twenty something years. So to most of my closest friends I have always been know as the "Whirling Dervish" or "Derv" for short.

In the real world of responsibility, jobs and family commitments I am simply known as Tim Doiron, I grew up in Southern Maine and now reside in Northbridge, MA located between Worcester, Providence and Boston off of Route 495. During the day when I am not fighting crime, saving the environment and fighting global hunger I am living the dream live of a Software Quality Assurance (making sure new software applications actually work) Project Manager for a large Financial Services Company, and for this I am always appreciative of my High School Guidance Councilor for pushing my down this path of self discovery and unlimited personal and monetary reward.

I have been married for 17 years to Deborah and that fact alone makes her a Saint. Living with me on a good day is not easy as I tend to be somewhat compulsive about things that are in my focus at that time whether it be the latest toy or gadget, my photography or now my running (if it isn't in my focus then good luck getting me to concentrate on it). My wife recently summed it up best with this great (soon to be on a Hallmark card near you) quote of "You Age Me", wow those words of love real choke you up...

I am also the proud parent of a son who looks just like me and has 98% of all of my mannerism's which my wife loves. As if I wasn't bad enough she now has a "mini-derv" running around the house. All in all, I have a great life and there are so many things I should be greatful for; a loving wife, a healthy and great son, a roof over my head, a job that makes me excited to jump out of bed each morning and rush into work and for this I am grateful.

Thanks
Tim D

a.k.a "The Derv"

No comments: