Thursday, June 5, 2008

Stomach bugs, new PR, running Falmouth...

Ok, so what have I been doing and how is my running going? Well after the stomach bug from hell that almost forced me to miss my 1st 5k, I have recovered and I am doing well. Since the first 5k at UMASS which I ran a respectable 25:29 I had to cut back on my miles since I was terrified of being more then 30 feet from a restroom. Once I felt better I was back to building up my base with some consistent runs. Last week all of my short runs through the week were great, I even tried a speed run for the first time. The Friday before my race I woke up at 5:00 AM and was on the road for 5:30 for my long run. It was a pristine morning and I felt great. I wanted to do 8:00 miles at a 9:40 to 10:30 pace and force myself not to run it at my normal 8:50-9:05 pace. I managed to stay within the pace range and did 8 miles in 1:17 minutes. Overall I was thrilled with the run.

I rested on Saturday and then on Sunday, June 1st I ran the Rhody 5k @ Twin Rivers in Lincoln RI (www.rhody5k.com). The weather was nice but this flat, tree less course was an OVEN….

I did ok though, I lined up with the 8 minute milers and all of my splits were under 8 and I sprinted across the finish line at 24:34. My son was there to cheer me on and he and my wife also raced. This is my first week of my 18 week Half Marathon training plan so I am excited. I have decided to try the Hanson’s Brothers (no not the guys with tin foil on their hands who bring there toys with them on the road) and I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

On another note, the check for the Cigna Falmouth Road Race (08/10/2008) was cashed so I was picked out of the lottery and I will have the opportunity to run it. I am both excited and nervous since heat isn’t my favorite thing but it is too good of opportunity to pass up and it will be a great test for my progress towards the half marathon in October.

More to come….

No comments: