Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dose of humble pie, return of the calf issue

Ok, so my running was going great, I was running 35+ miles a week, the new fueling plan was working and I was maintaining my MP in my runs. I was even thinking of pushing the upcoming half marathon for a PR instead of a MP-10 run but that has all changed. I have had issues in the past with my calves and through some stability work, some physical therapy and overall care they have been fine but that changed last week. After 3-4 weeks of Dreadmill running then hitting the open roads and these roads are not flat my calves began to protest and demanded some TLC. So last week was my rest week and I was to cut back to four 5 mile runs and a 12 mile long run but I wound up only doing 4 on Tuesday and 5 on Sunday and spent the rest of the week with the TP Therapy to try and get the knots out. It was more of a fear of tearing or straining the calves again and being out for 4-6 weeks that drove me to rest and I am hoping that was the correct action. I am feeling better this week and I will go back to my normal schedule this week and hope that the calves are better. So everybody out there keep your fingers crossed and remember that it requires a dose of humble pie every once in a while to remind you to keep your goals in check.

1 comment:

Mary McManus said...

Dearest Derv - thank you for this wonderful post and I am sending loving prayers your way that healing abounds. Our bodies are incredible, aren't they - they tell us exactly how much to push or how much to not push and I am glad you are taking care of yourself. I'll see you on Saturday in Hyannis and by then I know your body will have responded to your TLC. God bless!