Wednesday, November 11, 2009

get back lost conditioning

Hello,

So I got a 5 mile trail run in on Sunday and the weather was amazing. I ran at an 80% plus HR for an 11 minute pace so I really felt the effect of taking 3 weeks off. I got back out the next day for my lunch time 3 mile run, the HR was still in the 80% range but the pace was down to a 9:30. I am heading out at lunch to check out some new trails and hope to get 5-7 in. I picked up my Invitational BAA entry for the 2010 Boston Marathon so I am pumped to get another chance to run this marathon. I will be working to get my base miles back up to the 25-30 range before I start a 16 week training plan the first week in January. I am also thinking of running the Pineland Farm Trail Challenge (http://www.mainetrackclub.com/general-2.html) next year around Memorial day. I really want to do an Ultra and the thought of an Ultra TRAIL race would be great. Thus I am thinking that I build my miles up for Boston, run it as my last long run before the Ultra and after Boston keep the miles and intensity up to stay ready for the Ultra 4 weeks after.

Well more to come, I will share my idea to keep my training this winter and spring to the woods as much as possible. My desire to cross train this time and focus my training on the time out running versus the miles and make my long runs be LONG SLOW RUNS.

Cheers
Tim

2 comments:

pathfinder said...

Tim,

I like your plan, I think it will work well for you.....soooo how do you get an "invitational invite" two years in a row??? I am so jealous.

I find out about the Boston lottery tomorrow...my fingers are crossed.

Tim Doiron a.k.a "Derv" said...

Kevin, last year I got a number a runner for charity (Respite Center) so I had to raise money for the opportunity to run, this year I was lucky to get a number through my running club. We get 10 invitational numbers each year to give out.