Monday, August 11, 2008

Back on the Road and race report from Falmouth

Well I got the ok from my PT to start running after 3 treatments for Soleus muscle strain and I hit the tread mill on Thursday for 2 miles (no pain) then on the open road on Friday for 3 miles (no pain) and then headed to Falmouth, MA for the Falmouth Road Race.

I entered the lottery for this race on the day the event opened with the expectations that I would never get a ticket and guess what, I got in. So I was very excited that my calf was not bothering me and I promised myself to listen to my doctor and run the race and not RACE IT, which was great advice. The events leading up to the race was great, the whole town was geared up for it. I got the race buses for 7:30 and took the ride to Woods Hole and then hung out for 2 hours trying to see if I could visit every porta-potti they had and I think I came very close to doing it.

The race started and it took me 12 minutes to get to the start line but I didn’t care. I just leisurely ran with the pack at about a 10:45-11:15 per mile pace and soaked up the crowd and the event. There were live bands through out the course, plenty of water stops, people with garden hoses to cool you off and tons of people to cheer you on. I was able to stop and hug my son and wife which were great.

Overall I had a blast, no issues with my calf, my hamstring is a little sore but that is most likely because I try to overcompensate for something. I am very happy I ran it and I will always cherish the event.

Cheers,
Tim

No comments: