Monday, August 4, 2008

Stir crazy, doing PT and putting things into perspective.

Ok, so while on vacation from 07/03 through 07/14, I ran a great Bridgton Four on the Fourth race and enjoyed a week of running nowhere near as many miles as I was hoping to get in. The Monday after the race (07/07) I did a 10 mile run in 1:38:07 (9:48 pace) on very hilly roads with no shoulder. It was a nice run and my calves were “stiff” as they always are but nothing that stopped me. Well a week later on a 3.5 mile run around my office I got sharp pains in my right calf and it forced me to stop and walk. So I took 3 days off, got new shoes and did not run for 3 days. Well I did 4 miles on Thursday, 3 miles on Friday (all on treadmill) then 5.69 on the open road and then another 6 miles over two days before going to the Sports Medicine Doctors at UMASS where I was told to stop running until PT helped out. The diagnosis was that I strained my right calf. The calf muscles consist of the Gastrocnemius which is the big muscle at the back of the lower leg and the Soleus muscle which is a smaller muscle lower down in the leg and under the Gastrocnemius.

The cause of this is that I have “Fallen Arches” (I’m flat footed) and the hills of Casco/Raymond Maine while on vacation were all I needed to push my calf over the edge. So I am in PT to work to fix the current pain and prevent any future pain. I have had 2 PT sessions and I am dying to run but I am trying to follow orders. I don’t want to loose any conditioning so I am on the road bike and the Arc machine to maintain time at 70-75% MHR. The thing I want to keep in my mind is that as much as I was upset to miss Yankee Homecoming race and not racing Falmouth I don’t want to jeopardize running the half marathon in Portland and the Boston Marathon. So what is my short term focus, heal my calf and run Falmouth for the fun of it and just don’t think about the clock and then work to FINISH Portland and be prepared to FINISH Boston.

Tim

No comments: