Monday, September 22, 2008

Milestones and enter the taper phase…

Well on Sunday, the 21st of September, my 17th wedding anniversary and 1 day after my one year anniversary being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I awoke at 4:45 AM, laced up the sneakers and headed out for my last long run before the Portland Maine Peak Performance Half Marathon.

My goal was to do 13.1 with 2 miles at a slow pace then pick up to my predicted marathon pace for 9 miles and then end with 2 miles at the slow pace. The run was great, and I was able to maintain a solid pace in the middle miles and finished the run in 2 hours and 6 minutes. This was a great way to end my training. I was able to get the 13.1 miles and the psychological fear of “can I run that distance” off the table and most importantly get the confidence that I can move from the slow “injured” pace back into the fast pace that I wanted prior to the injury.

So now I am done with my training for the half and I will use the next two weeks to do cross training and yoga to maintain my conditioning and show up in Portland on the 5th with a well rested calf.

No comments: