Monday, March 16, 2009

Looking back at my first year


Last year I ran my very first road race ever last March on my birthday (the 15th). It was a great day, I had never run a race before and I went with my wife and son. The course is suppose to be 4 miles but it is about 3.73 and there is a hill at the start and then a really steep and nasty hill at the end. This was by no means a well organized race but I will always think highly of this race because it was my first race. I ran the course last year in 33:44 and had to stop on the last hill to walk a portion but if you had asked anyone who talked to me that day, I was on top of the world. On that day I also had the pleasure of meeting Steve Runner from the “Phedippidations Podcast” (http://steverunner.com/) who lives in the town of Oxford where the race is run. I have been a big fan of Steve’s podcast and I was excited to find out he lived two towns over from me and that he was going to run the same race that I was. So we met for the first time last year and talked before the race and the nicest thing happened, he waited at the finish line to cheer me on as I crossed. I know it is corny but my wife and son cheered me on but that is to be expected, I was surprised to see someone I had just met an hour before do such a thing.

After the race I have stayed in contact with Steve via annoying “What if” emails for the last year and he has always taken the time to answer my dumb questions. I still follow his podcasts and look forward to listening to them on my long runs each week. So this year when I found out he was running the Clara Barton again I really look forwarded to meeting with him again. So on Saturday of this past week I headed to Oxford for a beautiful spring day and to challenge myself to the hills of Oxford again. When I spoke to Steve this year I told him my only real goal was to be able to cheer “him” on he crossed the finish line…
The thing I like about Steve Runner the best is I can relate to him since he is very similar in age and ability. Sometimes getting advice from those that are just so far better then you in skill makes it hard to relate. In the case of Steve there is all this information from someone who is like me a middle aged, middle of the pack runner. If you haven't had the chance to listen to his podcast please do you will not be disappointed.

So the race went well and I finish strong with no stopping on the hills and a 4:56 minute pace sprint to the finish for a time of 31:37. Most importantly Steve was ever as kind as to slow his pace down to come in about 2 minutes behind me, again his generosity amazes me. The one thing I just found out is that I registered as a 39 year old because I wasn't 40 till Sunday and if I had registered as 40 I would have come in 2nd in my division, this is a point that my wife finds very humerous...

After the race I went home and prepared for my Sunday long run of 15 miles. I was looking forward to this weeks run to redeem myself from last week. This week I ran with Matt, who is also running for the Respite Center and after him getting lost we met at 7:15 in Northbridge to head out. The goal was to run no slower then 10:30 pace and we stuck to a 10:00 pace for the entire 15.25 mile run. So I redeem myself during my rest week with some nice quality runs and I am looking forward to my last two 20 mile + runs before the taper.

As I look back over the year of my running it is hard to believe I have run over 10 races including 2 half marathons, I have built my conditioning up to handle 20 mile runs and at the same time loved every moment of this journey. I am grateful for the support my wife and son have given to my obsessive compulsive behavior and my quest to run a marathon, I grateful to have met people like Steve Runner and call him a friend and a resource and I am thankful for the ability to run and the fact that at 40, I am now in the best shape of my life and I am starting to think that I might have a chance to finish Boston.

Thank you everyone for helping me get to be 40 and to look forward to the journey ahead.

3 comments:

Mary McManus said...

What an awesome post. It's so great to be on this journey with someone who just started running a year ago as well. God bless and see you soon.

Drusy said...

Wow, you really met Steve! And second in your age group is pretty impressive too.(Admit it - you really were more 40 than 39!) I'm looking forward to talking with you Tim on Runner Round Table next Wed!

Tim Doiron a.k.a "Derv" said...

Ok, I have to admit there was only 45 people in the race and 5 people between the age of 40-49 but for a middle of the pack guy it could have been my only opportunity to get a trophy. Yes, Steve lives two towns over so we met last year at the race also. I am looking forward to being part of the show.