Monday, March 23, 2009

Who doesn't like the beach

On the 15th of March, I turned 40 and as a present my family took me away to Wells Maine for a little “family fun time” at the beach and pool. My wife loves the beach so even if it is to cold to play in the waves once you get my wife near the salt water she starts thinking of any way possible for us to move to the ocean. I can’t really blame her since we both grew up in Maine and were never that far from the ocean being in Northbridge (which is landlocked) is tough. So we do what we always do when my wife gets to the beach, we look at houses we would buy and we bought a lottery ticket and played the “what if game” all weekend.

We drove up after work on Thursday and settled in to a nice resort for the weekend that was pretty empty. The goal of the weekend was to relax and enjoy the time together and since the hotel came with food vouchers I decided to do my long run on Friday instead of Sunday so that I didn’t have to spend the entire weekend watching what I ate to make sure I didn’t have issues on the 20 mile run scheduled. Also, I would have spent the whole weekend driving my wife nuts as I planned out the run so getting it over on Friday made the most sense.

The alarm clock went off at 4:30 AM on Friday and I rose to start the fueling plan of applesauce as usual and relax for my 7:00 departure. I was out the door at 7:00 AM and took off from the hotel on Route 1 South to Ogunquit and then left on Shore Road past Cape Nedick to the Route 1A intercept then turn around and head back. The run on Route 1 was fine, there was traffic but the road was wide enough that I had no issues. I enjoyed Shore Road and running parallel to the ocean but Shore Rd was not as flat as I thought it would be and it was more rolling, similar to my runs around my house. The elevation wasn’t a problem for me as I wanted to stick to a 10:30 pace and did so for the entire run. My fueling was fine and I really enjoyed the run. I did the 20 miles in 3 hours and 29 minutes and other then some minor cramping in my inner quads upon stopping I was fine that day and the next.

I was so glad I did the run on Friday as it was nice to eat what I wanted for the rest of the weekend and rest on Saturday. On Sunday, the day we were checking out, I awoke at 4:30 AM and got out at 5:00 AM for a 7 mile run. I ran right along the water and it was nice and FLAT and being able to hear the waves and watch the sunrise was really beautiful.

Overall another great week of running with close to 40 miles logged in and “knock on wood” no injuries. I am looking forward to doing 21 miles on the race route this coming Sunday as my final test of my training. I want to run this at my MP to see how it feels.

Cheers,
Tim
Bib # 23714 for Boston

2 comments:

Mary McManus said...

Did you win the lottery? Will you be moving to Maine? Beautiful post Tim and so glad to hear you had a great birthday. Good luck to us all with our 21 mile run on Saturday. Weather should be sunny and in the 50's. God bless!

The Boring Runner said...

The beach is sooo nice.

Ohh, I LOVE the ‘what if’ game. Hawaii is where I’d end up for sure!