Monday, April 6, 2009

Beware of Youth...

Ok, so on Sunday I had planned to do 15 or 16 at a relaxed pace of 10:30 and if I felt up to it maybe run the middle 6-8 at a 10:00 pace. Well, that was the idea and if I didn’t run with a twenty something runner for the day I might have stuck to it. I ran with Matt C and we just couldn’t find that slower pace and we ran the 15 miles at a 9:45 pace. I don’t know if it was the faster pace or the fact that I didn’t get my normal 20 miles in during the week or that my body is getting tired but the hills on the route just seemed bigger yesterday and my feet seemed to be heavier. Prior to this run my issue with the right foot had subsided and I wasn’t feeling any discomfort but 3-4 miles in I started to feel like I was running with some strange object under my right arch. Now I have orthotics because I am flat footed and have no arches and I have 250+ miles on these orthotics without any issue, and the left foot feels fine so I don’t know what the issue is.

I finished the run and the pain is less then the week before but I am going to try and rest over the next two weeks. I plan on only running once or twice this week and substitute the other runs with some rowing or elliptical work. Next Sunday I have 10 miles scheduled but I am going to cross train for two hours instead. I want to maintain my conditioning but I don’t want to risk aggravating the foot more then I need to.

Here are the details from the 15 miler:

Mile 1: 9:34
Mile 2: 9:39
Mile 3: 9:57
Mile 4: 9:57
Mile 5: 9:35
Mile 6: 9:41
Mile 7: 9:32
Mile 8: 9:41
Mile 9: 9:37
Mile 10: 9:44
Mile 11: 10:00
Mile 12: 10:03
Mile 13: 9:47
Mile 14: 9:55
Mile 15: 9:45

My next update will be a look back at the preparation to date for this marathon and the lessons learned.

Cheers,
Tim

2 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

Nice run! It is amazing how having someone with you and running a little faster than your normal pace will push you. I ran that way with a friend last fall - I give her most of the credit for improving my marathon time.

And, don't worry about the paranoia. It may get a little worse during your taper when you have a little more time to take it easy and every little twinge gets your attention.

Take care of yourself.

The Boring Runner said...

That is great! It is amazing how much a faster runner can push you along - especially when you aren't thinking about it.

Also, it is pretty crazy how much you become uber sensitive to any little tweak or ding during a taper. "Taper madness"!