Monday, April 13, 2009

Last run in the training plan


One week to go, and I am really looking forward to the day. My training began in November of 2007 when I first stepped on to the treadmill with my iPod and hit the play button on week 1 of 9 for the PodRunner podcast for the “Couch to 5k” program but the actual training for this marathon began on December 15th of last year. I followed a program that I created with the help of an experienced runner friend to allow me to run for 60 minutes four days a week and a long run. This was the only schedule that would allow me to keep my job, stay married and not forget my son.

Since the start of this training here are my totals:

72 runs
Average duration of 1:10:38
Total time spent running of 83:36:02
Average Pace of 10:25 minute mile
Average Distance of 6.8 miles
3 runs of 20 miles or greater
6 runs of 15 miles or greater
Total miles of 487.9 miles

When I look back at this it seems so minor compared to those that run 50-70 miles per week but I can tell you as someone with a family, job and a life outside of the running this was a major time commitment. I am very happy with my training and I believe I am prepared to lace up my shoes and run next week.

For those of you following me online the day of the race I will be thinking of you, for those of you running or watching on the race route I will be the big guy wearing Orange, and for those watching on TV just look for the lead pack and then count back 20,000 runners and that should be me…

As I ran my last run this weekend, I snapped this picture to show everyone that I am smiling and that I am prepared for this journey.




Tim

5 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

That is awesome! I'll be following you online. Take it easy this week and enjoy!

Mary McManus said...

So awesome Tim - I have goosebumps - it's gonna be a great day. Enjoy the week.

pathfinder said...

Good luck...it seems you are quite ready!!! Don't forget to enjoy each difficult step. No one can describe the feeling you will have when you cross that finish line...it can only be experiened by the person doing it.

The Boring Runner said...

Nice work. You're ready!

sneakersister said...

Are you excited about this weekend or what?!? Enjoy!! And good luck to you.