Monday, July 20, 2009

Milestone, first 10 miler since Boston

Last week was a nice week. Overall the sun was visible in my world, I almost didn't recognize it, so we had a real nice week. I was able to get in 5 runs through the week for a total of 28 miles including a 10 mile run on Sunday. Since running the Boston Marathon I have averaged about 20-25 miles per week but most of my runs have been in the 5-8 mile range. As part of my training for the fall Half Marathons I am building my base up so this was my first 10 miler in 3 months and it was nice to know I hadn't lost it.

I traveled down to Norton, MA to run with my training partner Jill in her backyard since she has been driving 40 minutes to Northbridge for the last 4-6 weeks. Well Sunday morning arrived the weather was amazing and Norton was a great run because compared to my town it is FLAT....

So we headed out with the goal of focusing on the distance not the time since this was Jill's first time at this distance. I ran by heart rate only and kept my HR at 73% average and we did 10 miles in 1:43:40 (10:20 pace) with no problems. It was one of those runs that reminded me of my Marathon training were once I got past the first 4 I got into a zone that as long as I fueled I could keep going. The plan of running by HR has been working, this week I need to add a 85-90% HR run on Wednesday at the track and a tempo run on Friday were I do the first 2 miles at 70-75% then 2 miles at 80-85% then a 2 mile cool down. The next week I will shot for doing another 10 miler.

Cheers,
Tim

2 comments:

pathfinder said...

I use HR for my runs and races most of the time and it works quite well. That's great about hitting the 10 miler...prooves the base part of your trainning is there.

The Boring Runner said...

That IS a great milestone. Great work knocking it out. Good luck on the next 10'er!