Thursday, July 23, 2009

Something to look forward too...

I have one child, he is 6 yrs old and his name is Alex and he is just me in a smaller frame. I feel bad for my wife because he has all of the traits that I know drive her crazy from me. He doesn't sit still, he has no "mute" button so he just talks 100% of the time he is awake during the day.

So every time him and I square off it is usually me arguing with him over something he did that I do all the time. As my wife says I am just fighting with myself. He is a great kid and the hardest part of being a parent for me is to remember he is a kid and I need to cut him some slack. He likes the fact that his dad runs and he enjoys going to my races or going to the track with me. He has no concept of the distance so me running 20 miles or 2 miles is out of his grasp. Heck when we say the trip will take 2 hours and he asks how long that is we say it will be "4 Sponge Bob episodes" and that he understands. When on my runs and my mind wanders one recurring thought is that when he gets 10-12 and is old enough to run I really hope he will want to run with his old man.

As much as I like my alone time or in some cases the time I take to escape the demands of parenting I think to run with him once a week would be great. I never did anything like that with my dad but if we could use the time to chat about life, what he has going on in school or just about the Red Sox or NE Patriots would be time that I would cherish. So as he grows up I am not going to push him into running but I hopes he takes to it and if he does I look forward to a new running partner for my Sunday morning runs.

Tim

1 comment:

Mary McManus said...

What a beautiful blog post - I like what your wife says about fighting with yourself - I have to remember that with my daughter.
Running with your son will be awesome - my daughter and husband and I worked out a lot of stuff on those runs and as we now say, if we did not have running in our lives we would probably kill each other - metaphorically speaking of course. We also had incredible fun, joy and laughter all the time challenging ourselves and getting healthy and fit.