Monday, August 3, 2009

Week in review, hot, humid, sick then trail running

So after taking Monday off as I normally do, Tuesday due to work and the humidity became a no go. On Wednesday the humidity was still oppressive but I also came down with a stomach bug that left me feeling far from ideal. It took me till Thursday afternoon to get over that but I still had some congestion and a stuffed up nose. On Friday I went out to run the West Hill Dam trails. Towards the last 2 miles I was getting a few drops of rain but nothing bad, well it turns out the trees were sheltering the down pour that was really going on. Went I made it back out to the road for the last .75 miles it was pouring with some nice thunder going on. Overall it was a great run, I was listening to the latest Phidip and time flew by.

No running on Saturday since I spent the day running errands. I set my alarm on Sunday to get up early and hit the road for my long run. Well, I slept in till 5:45 and got up to get ready. I was just about out the door when my son came down the stairs. If you guys know 6 year olds, when they are up they are up. So I didn't want to run out and have him wake my wife who was still sleeping so we turned on the TV and relaxed while watching some great cartoons. At around 8 AM my wife awoke and I got out of the house around 8:30.

I planned 10 miles, or 1:45:00 to 2 hours at a relaxed rate so instead of doing a road loop I chose a double loop on the trails of West Hill Dam. I turned on the ipod, set my watch to track pace/miles but focused more on the HR to determine if I needed to slow down or speed up. The relaxation of listening to Gordon on Running to Disney then Dan and Nik talk about running "commando" was great. I got into that grove that only comes after 4-5 miles where as long as you have water and fuel you can run forever.

I did 11 miles in 1:54 and felt great, ran back to the house and jumped into the pool with my son and then off to run some more errands. Overall, great way to finish a week were I only got two runs in for 17 miles.

Cheers,
Tim

No comments: