Monday, February 22, 2010

Making progress

Boy getting old sucks, I am sore today and as much as I would like to think this it was the 17 mile run yesterday I think age had a lot more to do with it then the distance. The running has been going well, I got my Suunto Heart Rate Monitor fixed so I am now able to use the footpod on the treadmill for more accurate distance and more importantly EFFORT levels. My runs have been getting faster and last week I averaged sub 10's for the majority of the runs. I was forced to run the dreadmill more then I wanted but with the little guy home for school vacation, gettting a run in on the dreadmill versus no run was all I could do.

The week before I did 14.4 in 2 1/2 hours and struggled with boredom on the run, this weekend I teamed up with my friend Matt Cloyd for my Sunday run on the race route. We met at 7AM in Hopkinton at the starting line and ran 16.2 to the Starbucks at Newton Lower Falls. I was able to sweet talk my wife into picking us up (I think she only came to get me because Matt needed a ride to, or I would still be there). Now Matt is 26 and ran Boston (his first marathon also) last year at a 3:40 so I knew running a 10 minute pace was out of the question. It was a great test form me since I needed to see what I had in me for my Hyannis run, so we ran 9:20-9:30 and finished in 2 hours and 25 minutes for an average 9:19 pace which is 41 seconds per mile under my Marathon time. My only complaints about the run was the recurring need to find a restroom at miles 4-6 that plague me on my training runs regardless of how hard I monitor my fueling the day before a run. I think it is nerves because on my races I haven't had the issue.

The time flew since Matt and I talked and got caught up on what has happened since last April. So with that run under my belt and close to 40 miles for the week I am going to try to set a PR for the 1/2 marathon this weekend in Hyannis (2:04:18 is my best). I am going to push it and if I can do the first 10 in under 90 minutes I will push 100% for the last 5k, if I am off the 10 mile time I will relax and run it in to prevent injury.

So 8 more weeks and counting and look for my race report next Monday after Hyannis.

Tim

3 comments:

pathfinder said...

Sounds like the training is going great....good luck at the half.

Mary McManus said...

I'll be there to cheer you on in Hyannis. Go Tim Go And remember you're not getting older you're getting better. Embrace the soreness it's your body telling you you worked hard!

Tim Doiron a.k.a "Derv" said...

Mary, right now my body is using some not so "nice" words to remind me that my calves don't like 17 mile runs with twenty something year olds....