Monday, March 22, 2010

41 miles for 41 years on this blue orb...

Hello,

I started the week with a rest day and a birthday so not a bad way to kick off the week. The week was pretty good for running with both the weather and my own motivation levels being perfect. I did a 3.35 mile route on Tuesday as a speed run and dropped every mile split with the last mile at 8:00 minute pace and the last .35 at 7:35 pace. The runs on Wednesday and Thursday were pretty boring but due to family and work schedules that couldn't be helped. I had company coming over the weekend and since I had a 20 mile run on the books I did my long run on Friday so I could enjoy the weekend and not have to try to shuffle company with diet restrictions and long runs. The weather on Friday was great and after doing my weekly "I can read" program in my son's classroom I headed out.

I wanted to run 20 @ a 10:40 pace (MP+45 seconds) and have a HR at 75% or less. The run was fine, I felt great and my HR was 72% but I mentally struggled, I was bored. I run with an iPod and listen to Audiobooks, and I brought those but I just had a hard time staying focused. So I did 14 miles then decided to drive the 5 minutes home and do the last 6 on the treadmill while watching a movie. So with 20 miles done at the 10:40 pace I had the weekend to relax.

I finished the week with a 6 mile run on Sunday that was ok, it felt like my shoes weighed 20lbs the first 2 miles but once they got lighter it was a better run. So I finished my birthday week with 41 miles on the books (I know corny but who cares) and I only have one more 20+ mile run before I get to taper back with a 16 then 12 miler before the race.

Cheers,
Tim

2 comments:

Mary McManus said...

Happy Birthday Derv and here's to 41 miles....it's exhilarating to share in your 2nd Boston Marathon journey with you. I'm gonna be watching from Cleveland Circle so we gotta coordinate when you think you'll be there. Love ya, Mary

Tim Doiron a.k.a "Derv" said...

Mary, my Bib# is 23708 and if all goes well I am shooting to maintain an 9:50 to 10:10 pace. If I can I will add your cell number into the list of people getting updates. Are you on Facebook? I am asking because Deborah will be updating that throughout the race.