Monday, June 15, 2009

Weekend in the woods

Weekends are meant to relax and sometimes that happens and sometimes I go back to work on Monday looking forward to the rest of attending boring meetings all day to recharge the battery. Last week was hectic with my son’s Kindergarten celebration and my parents in town for the event so I didn’t get any runs in on Wednesday and Thursday which drove me nuts. See I have a schedule and I tend to get all out of sorts if I deviate from that schedule (hey, look at the butterfly syndrome coming into play). So after my parents left Friday morning, my son was on the bus and rain stopped I took off for a much needed run. It was a run of undecided length or time and nothing but latest Phidip Podcast to keep me entertained. The air was cool and crisp thanks to the rain of the morning and this was one of my favorite conditions to run in. The run was great and I did 6 miles and I felt like 12 would have been easy but regretfully due to the need to stay employed I ended my run and headed back home.

Saturday was another beautiful day and my wife and son went to an event for 4 hours leaving me with some down time. So, off I went to run the trails of West Hill Dam near my house. I did 6 miles and it was just so relaxing in the woods.

On Sunday morning I had planned to head out with my friend Jill at 7:30 for a run but it was pouring so we canceled the run. I stayed home, had breakfast with the family and watched a movie. Later in the afternoon the family took our Wii Bowling skills to the actual bowling alley for a fun family time. Later in the day I got a text from Jill and she came over to Northbridge to run the West Hill Dam trails and it was another amazing run in the woods since again we got the cool air from the post rain. We did 6.52 miles at a relaxed pace and it was a lot of fun.
So as much as I like the roads they just never offer me the enjoyment of how beautiful and tranquil Mother Nature is. I am not a religious person nor am I a touchy feely kind of guy but I do feel at peace running in the woods without the sounds or cars to bother me.

Please see the images below of where I ran this weekend and of course a great image of "Gracie" relaxing on our deck near the pool...
Cheers…

No comments: