Thursday, June 25, 2009

Where have I been

So with the craziness of ending t-ball, school and the start of summer camp things have been crazy. My running is going well, I am averaging 20-25 miles a week and have really enjoyed my runs. Last week was my first week of the FIRST half marathon plan and I didn't hit one key workout. Why, because it just hasn't been my style of running right now. I have had a hard time with the rain getting to a track and when I get out to run the preferred run has been 5-7 miles at a 9:45-10 minute pace in the woods. This week due to rain and work I didn't get a run in on Monday or Tuesday but got a great 6 mile trail run in yesterday and I am running a 5 mile trail run tonight and then if work allows another 5-8 tomorrow. This weekend is going to be weird, my son is riding in a Pan-MA Challenge for kids to raise money for cancer and it suppose to be 15 miles. Now he is 6 with training wheels and last year I ran along side him for (5) 1 mile loops so this Saturday could be a 15 mile run for me with a lot of starts and stops. The goal for Sunday is an early morning run with my running partner Jill with 5 miles in the woods then 4 miles on the road, this will push Jill to her longest distance yet.

So my question is as I started my planning and I still have the focus on a sub two hour half marathon, I am getting the miles in just not the speed. So I have some races comming up and I am going to push the speed to see what I have in me. I am going to try making Friday's 5-8 a temp run at the HMP and see how that feels. Overall the relaxed run in the woods is what my body wants over the need for speed.

Cheers,
Tim

2 comments:

pathfinder said...

The plus with the trail running is you are working on core muscles at the same time so it qualifies for a tempo / x-train type of run. You can also incorporate a speed workout by running 1 minute sprints with 1/2 minute recovery all while running on the trail. You will be suprised how difficult this workout is.
Just start of and finish with an easy pace to get your enjoyment from the trail run and do the speed workout in the center.

Tim Doiron a.k.a "Derv" said...

thanks for the advice, I will contact you when I am up in Maine for a run.