Friday, June 5, 2009

Starting to get back into the grove...

So after a few days of consectitive mediocre runs the last couple weeks have been really nice. I am starting my half marathon training for my two fall half marathons (Portland Maine and the Baystate) on the last week of June. The goals for these two races are sub 2 hours for the half, this should be within my reach since I have run a 2:04:18 and that was with me "bonking" do to fuel and my training run at a relaxed pace in Hyannis was a 2:05.

The last week or so has me back out running 4-5 days a week and up to 8 miles on Sunday with about 18 to 25 miles per week. I am going to start adding in the speed workouts, tempo and hills over the next few weeks to add to my base and I would like to do a strong 10 mile run at 9:15 or less to test my fitness level.

I am going to follow a modified FIRST approach where I focus on hitting 3 KEY runs each week with specific distance and pace runs for each run. I want to then use 3-4 days during that week to cross train. If I follow the FIRST method to letter I will use those days for swimming, biking or rowing but I also like to run on Tuesday and Thursday with my friend Jill at work. Jill runs at a slightly slower pace then me (9:30 for 4-5 is about 85% of her max) so my 4 runs with her on those days is relaxing for me but most importantly I enjoy those runs and they keep me motivated to do my KEY runs. I will try to still do the cross training on those days while running.

I am wishing I was starting a marathon plan but my work schedule is looking BRUTAL so that isn't an option.

Ok, more to come.

Tim

4 comments:

Mary McManus said...

You are so awesome Tim - what discipline and focus.

pathfinder said...

It all starts with a plan, then exicuting it and being relistic. It seems like you have it all going for you. I suspect your goal to beat 2 hrs will not be a problem.

The Boring Runner said...

Running 18 to 25 miles per week is nothing to shake a stick at. I think that a 93 min 10 miler is a good goal. Keep plugging away

chris mcpeake said...

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck on your training.